I spent the past week, May 12th through May 17th, in Draper watching over the Mackay kids while their mom and dad cruised to exotic places like Croatia, Greece, Italy and Turkey. Needless to say, this experience gave way to feeling my age. Trying to keep up with a 4th 5th and 6th grader as well a four year old taught me that you really do need to have children when you are young. The need for carpools, school lunches, homework, library trips and laundry kept me active and hopping every minute of the day. There was hardly a minute to shop, read, relax or watch television. One night Garn and I were exhausted and retired to the bedroom at 10:00 pm to watch the news. Garn pushed one (wrong) button on the TV and that was end of that idea. You really have to be a TV tech to run anyone elses television. Needless to say, we watched no television that week.
The Mackay kids were pleasant and helpful most of the time. We had some minor run ins but they seemed to dissapate quickly. I have heard through the grapevine since their parents got home that I made them work really hard every day. Do you believe this story? I hung a sign the day I left reading, "If you drop it, pick it up. and the second line, "If you spill it wipe it up." I don't think they liked that to well. I think we had a good time in spite of the comedy of errors that I made when they told me, "We don't do it that way." My reply was always, "You do when I'm here". I took Jonathan to the Barnes and Noble Bookstore where we looked at books and purchased a couple of them for his birthday. He was really cute. I think the books are glued to his right arm now. I hope Cheryl and Lane had a great time as it will take me a week or so to recover from the work that they have to do everyday. Way to go Mom and Dad Mackay.
A successful marriage requires
falling in love many times,
always with the same person.
falling in love many times,
always with the same person.
Baby Sean
April 23, 2004
To my Grandkids
A GRANDMOTHER'S PRAYER
Oh Lord, I do not ask for much,
Eternal beauty or youth or such:
Just give me a little hand to hold
And I'll forget that I'm growing old.
I do not ask for cloudless skies,
A life that's free from tears and sighs,
Just give me a little face to kiss
And anxious moments will turn to bliss.
For what is there, really, that means so much
As little hands that reach and touch,
As little eyes that search and see
Only the best in fragile me?
So let me grow more loving and wise
By looking at life through their wide eyes.
For through these little ones, Thou hast given
This grateful grandmother a glimpse of Heaven.
Emily Tipton
Oh Lord, I do not ask for much,
Eternal beauty or youth or such:
Just give me a little hand to hold
And I'll forget that I'm growing old.
I do not ask for cloudless skies,
A life that's free from tears and sighs,
Just give me a little face to kiss
And anxious moments will turn to bliss.
For what is there, really, that means so much
As little hands that reach and touch,
As little eyes that search and see
Only the best in fragile me?
So let me grow more loving and wise
By looking at life through their wide eyes.
For through these little ones, Thou hast given
This grateful grandmother a glimpse of Heaven.
Emily Tipton
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You sound like a pretty tough Grandma, but with 4 there is probably no other way...establish your authority and run a tight ship. I don't know if I have it in me anymore. Your kids are mighty lucky to have you to babysit.
I second Charmaine's comment! We are lucky to have a grandma that cares about us and is willing to take on the roles of mom for us every once in a while! Thanks for being willing. I know for a fact that Cheryl (as well as us) loves and respects you for the time and energy you put into our families! You are a great grandma!!
Dani
Post a Comment